AK1 HDD on USB-C not working (with expansion case)

Quick Fix.
axe2021

AK1 HDD on USB-C not working (with expansion case)

Post by axe2021 »

Hello,

I received today my AK1 just purchased in March 2021 on official shop of ACEPC on amazon (AK1-8GB+256GB here). It came with installed preactivated Windows 10 professional in version 2004 released in first semester of 2020.
I am trying to use the 'expansion case' to add a HDD SATA. And it fails ! Why ??
- Windows 10 is on the internal disk of the base unit, which is working fine.
- HDD SATA i am trying to add is on the external expansion case, connected through USB-C type connector to the base unit.
It's out-of-the-box experience, my first day and first difficulty with the expansion case. Luckily, at home i had many tools to do tests.
1) Connecting the HDD SATA on another computer (it's a HP brand) with Windows 7 is working perfectly fine, the disk has drive and partition on it, and is appearing on the HP computer thru USB-A connector, and in the Disk Management tool too.

2) Connecting the HDD SATA on AK1 with Windows 10 is working perfectly fine, the disk has drive and partition on it, and is appearing on the AK1 computer thru USB-A connector, and in the Disk Management tool too.
:idea: Power consumption measurement : 4,97V@180mA. After disconnecting with Safely Remove Hardware icon : 5,01V@056mA.

3) Connecting the HDD SATA on AK1 with Windows 10 is not working at all, the disk is powered (i can hear rotation inside) but is not appearing on the AK1 computer thru USB-C connector, and in the Disk Management tool is totally absent too. And is absent too in the BIOS when plugged.
:idea: Power consumption measurement : 4,95V@134mA. With attempt to charge my own smartphone on USB-C connector : my phone is showing 4,85V@440mA.
I will post tomorrow the full illustration for the tests i already made, with their success or failure.
I joined the HWiNFO64 full report in pdf file on the zip attachment below.
I also tried to connect any memory device directly on the USB-C female connector of the unit base and without the help of the expansion case. No results.
I also tried to connect the USB-C male connector of the expansion case itself on any other computer. No results.

Although the same HDD but within an ordinary SATA metalcase and connected to USB-A of any computer including the AK1, is immediately recognized.
Any administrator could help me to diagnose or fix it ? Any other customer in same situation ?
Thanks! :)

axe2021

Tests diagram with power consumption
Tests diagram with power consumption
Full_Tableau - updated.jpg (359.65 KiB) Viewed 4127 times
Partition Guru
Partition Guru
PartitionGuru_results.JPG (419.47 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
2021-03-24-AK1.zip
HWiNFO64
(220.41 KiB) Downloaded 1425 times
Last edited by axe2021 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:07 am, edited 10 times in total.
Happy owner of a AK1 8GB+256GB purchased on March 2021, pre-installed with Windows 10 Pro 2004. My first AK1 was very defective, and my demand to aftersales got solved on May 17th, with replacement of the bad unit, now all is fine.
witt

Re: AK1 HDD on USB-C not working (with expansion case)

Post by witt »

:D
Last edited by witt on Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
witt

Post by witt »

The author is a very hardworking person and a professional person.
my question
Will the USB-C adapter be incompatible? Everyone knows that some adapters are not compatible.
My advice
1. A hub with a charger should be connected, and it should be more stable than a hub without a charger. Deserve perfect support,
2. Respectively test whether these interface functions are normal.
At this price, I can easily work and browse the Internet to view information. I personally think it is worth it.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

axe2021,

The USB C connector on the underside of the unit is only meant for the add on drive carriage. It's not designed for traditional USB C connections or devices.

Hopefully the admin will have some advice regarding the drive not being recognized while in the add on carriage.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10 • AK2 Pro
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello, thank you for the detailed information. We feel your support. In the USB-C interface of AK1, it only serves to connect the hard disk box. We will try to use more compatible interfaces based on your test.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
axe2021

Post by axe2021 »

Thanks all for the replies.

@admin Thank you for reading my post and replied.
1) the HDD SATA in expansion case thru USB-C connector is not working on my AK1 out-of-the-box. I joined the HWInfo full report. Is there a solution we can try ? Do you have a AK1 at your office and could show me a screenshot how it behaves with a HDD SATA connected to AK1 and recognized by Windows 10 ?

2) I am trying to use the expansion case to add a HDD SATA. What to do to be able to use this feature sold in the advertisement as it should behave ?
This is the abnormal situation i try to solve
This is the abnormal situation i try to solve
Reply to admin 1.jpg (22.18 KiB) Viewed 4152 times

3) Thanks for the additional information about the USB-C connector interface used in AK1 system. So, basically if i try to use the expansion case on another computer (like my HP for example) thru USB-C connector it will never be usable ? It's not a traditional USB 3.0 interface ? Is it maybe a Thunderbolt interface ? How to tell ? How works the motherboard about that connector exactly, could we get some specs ?

Thanks, have all a nice day
axe2021
Happy owner of a AK1 8GB+256GB purchased on March 2021, pre-installed with Windows 10 Pro 2004. My first AK1 was very defective, and my demand to aftersales got solved on May 17th, with replacement of the bad unit, now all is fine.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello, I will explain this. This interface can only be connected to the hard disk box. If the hard disk box is not recognized, we can replace you with a brand new hard disk box, or we can provide you with a little compensation and apologize for occupying your USB interface.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
axe2021

Post by axe2021 »

Solved. It was the expansion case the faultive one. With after sales, a new unit solved it.
So if your expansion case for hard disk is not recognized in Disk Management tool from Windows, then it is not the Windows faultive, neither the main unit faultive, neither the BIOS faultive, neither the motherboard of AK1 faultive, but the hard disk box faultive, in my case.
With new pc, the hard disk box is immediately recognized and shows up in Windows Disk Management tool as expected. Without formatting neither other requirements.

Return to “Troubleshooting”