GK3V - J4125 - Thermal throttling

Quick Fix.
jubacsgo

GK3V - J4125 - Thermal throttling

Post by jubacsgo »

Hello gentlemen, Is the GK3V - J4125 equipment new and is it presenting a thermal throttling setting at 76 degrees?
Is it possible not to present this? Will it damage the equipment?
See the screen.

jubacsgo

Re: GK3V - J4125 - Thermal throttling

Post by jubacsgo »

According to the ALiexpress vendor "Hello, this temperature is normal. It will not affect normal operation". I did the installation of the copper thermal plate, like the post https://www.iacepc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1049 and it really improved. I'll add a router fan to see how it looks. It still gives Thermal throttling when running the benchmark, but it stopped happening when in normal use.
;)
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

If you see the CPU temps climbing to around 85C or above on at least a somewhat regular basis, that's where you may want to start having a little concern. It won't fry it at that point, but those temps can shorten the CPU's life when it's a normal occurrence.

Intel's thermal protection processes kick in at 105C with the J4125, so you should be fine with it hitting the temps you're describing. That's not to say that a lower temp being better isn't the rule of thumb with electronics, of course, but only that it should be fine.

The copper pad does seem to help transfer heat better than the aluminum one the unit comes with, especially with the epoxy they use to 'glue' it in place. I think a smaller, better designed heatsink would dissipate heat more quickly as well.

I do think they're paying close attention to what we talk about in here and the reviews people give on the various sites. I have one of their new models, the AM02, and its differently designed cooling is better than any of the other ACEPC models I have, including the 'Frankensteined' AK3 with the J4105 based system board in which I installed the copper pad. It tends to stay in the 30s and 40s.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10 • AK2 Pro
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
witt

Post by witt »

If the temperature exceeds 85°, the frequency will be dropped a little, which will affect the performance, and the CPU will be burned out if the temperature is high for a long time. 76° is the normal range
jubacsgo

Post by jubacsgo »

OK thanks,

From what I've tested here, it's no more than 76 degrees Celsius because the processor's frequency keeps dropping, so I believe there's no way to reach 85 degrees. I'm investing in a router/mini pc fan.
jubacsgo

Post by jubacsgo »

Hello everyone, a workaround until the router fan cooler arrives. The
room temperature 24.9 degrees celcius. (Mini USB fan - see photo). No thermal throttling in 8 minutes of stress.

:mrgreen:

Return to “Troubleshooting”