Install a second HDD

Quick Fix.
ampcer

Install a second HDD

Post by ampcer »

I am trying to install a second HDD on a new ACEPC, AK2. Under disk Management, it shows
"Disk 1", second line: "unknown", third line "Not initialized". This is a Western Digital 500 GB HDD. A window pops up to initialize Disk, and I've tried both the "MBR" and the "GPT" buttons, and when I click OK, the virtual disk manager window says "A device which does not exist was specified". There was no blue bar as there is on Disk 0, or any other information in the disk management window. Possibly a bad HDD? It is brand new.
The disk 0 shows : 100MB Healthy(EFI System Partition. The next panel : Windows (C:), 118.15 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Basic data Partition. Third panel: 1000 MB, Healthy Recovery Partition. In the Disk 1 panel, it is all blank, except there is "Disk 1" if the Disk is plugged in.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Install a second HDD

Post by Gabe »

ampcer,

Do you have another computer with which you could try connecting the drive to see if it not only works, but to see if you can create a partition? With a desktop using an open SATA and power connector, and with a laptop (or desktop) using a USB to SATA adapter, if you have one. Or, even an external HDD/SSD enclosure that connects via USB that you could temporarily use to connect to a desktop or laptop, or even the mini pc, again, if you have one. With that said, I know neither of those things are common to everyone.

You'll only see the blue bar(s) when there's a partition on the disk, like the system disk has (disk 0).
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10 • AK2 Pro
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
ampcer

Post by ampcer »

Hi again Gabe,
I started to use an ACER laptop to install the HDD in question, but after removing about 12 screws I found the installed HDD was screwed in where I could not get it loose without dissembling the top half to reach the 2 side screws that were against the top half of the plastic case. I thing I will 'bit the bullet and order another HDD and hope that is the problem. This one runs continuously and does get quite warm. Maybe that is normal as it is not partitioned yet. And thanks for your helpful suggestions. But hey some times 'pitch and replace' is the best answer. :roll:
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

ampcer,

I don't blame you. And no, you don't want to go through all that with your laptop, and you shouldn't have to.

Hopefully the replacement will do the trick. 🙂
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10 • AK2 Pro
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
witt

Post by witt »

ampcer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:25 pm I am trying to install a second HDD on a new ACEPC, AK2. Under disk Management, it shows
"Disk 1", second line: "unknown", third line "Not initialized". This is a Western Digital 500 GB HDD. A window pops up to initialize Disk, and I've tried both the "MBR" and the "GPT" buttons, and when I click OK, the virtual disk manager window says "A device which does not exist was specified". There was no blue bar as there is on Disk 0, or any other information in the disk management window. Possibly a bad HDD? It is brand new.
The disk 0 shows : 100MB Healthy(EFI System Partition. The next panel : Windows (C:), 118.15 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Basic data Partition. Third panel: 1000 MB, Healthy Recovery Partition. In the Disk 1 panel, it is all blank, except there is "Disk 1" if the Disk is plugged in.
Hello, hard drives are divided into mechanical hard drives and solid state drives. Is your hard drive a mechanical hard drive? The 3.5HDD mechanical hard disk needs a separate power supply. If it is a 2.5SSD solid state drive, it can be connected in the shutdown state to create a new disk in the disk management.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

witt,

It sounds like a 2.5" mechanical HDD. That would use the same connector as a 2.5" SSD, not requiring a separate power supply connection. I doubt the OP would buy a 3.5" drive for his AK2.
HCL

Post by HCL »

witt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:03 am
ampcer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:25 pm I am trying to install a second HDD on a new ACEPC, AK2. Under disk Management, it shows
Hello, hard drives are divided into mechanical hard drives and solid state drives. Is your hard drive a mechanical hard drive? The 3.5HDD mechanical hard disk needs a separate power supply. If it is a 2.5SSD solid state drive, it can be connected in the shutdown state to create a new disk in the disk management.
Is there an answer to this yet? I have purchased AK3 Series and i have the same problem!
The PC wouldn't recognise my 2.5 HDD even though the connector fits perfectly and the disk management screen sees the HDD it cannot be initialized

Return to “Troubleshooting”