Resize partition where OS is installed

Quick Fix.
axe2021

Resize partition where OS is installed

Post by axe2021 »

Hello,

This is a suggestion : would it help customers if we try to resize the C: where Windows 10 is pre-installed ? To shrink it, and create free unallocated space. This free unallocated space would be then allocated to create a new partition on internal hard drive (E: ?). And we could put personal data on this new drive on same hard drive disk.

If we encounter later an issue with the OS, then the admin could advise customers to reinstall the OS thanks to the D: Recovery partition with drivers included.
But no data in E: would be lost, if C: is reinstall thanks to D:

Could it help ? in prevention goal
How does a shrink partition work ? Is it easy to proceed without data loss ?
Thanks, have all a nice day

axe2021

PS: i have the AK1 with 256GB, not the 32GB.
Happy owner of a AK1 8GB+256GB purchased on March 2021, pre-installed with Windows 10 Pro 2004. My first AK1 was very defective, and my demand to aftersales got solved on May 17th, with replacement of the bad unit, now all is fine.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Resize partition where OS is installed

Post by Gabe »

axe2021,

You can always shrink the C drive if you wish to, using either Windows' Disk Management or a 3rd party disk management tool, and then create another partition for whatever you wish using the same tool, but the manufacturer creating a recovery partition is another story. Though you might be able to do so yourself (it's a somewhat complicated endeavor), they likely don't do so because of the limited sizes of the drives in these Mini PCs and wanting to leave as much space as possible for the C drive.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10 • AK2 Pro
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
witt

Post by witt »

Hello, you can use PE tool to back up, you can also partition yourself when installing the system
axe2021

Post by axe2021 »

Thanks for you all and the replies,

@Gabe :
i already have a Partition Recovery in my internal hard drive (256GB version of the AK1) when it was shipped from amazon.
I didn't mean to create a Recovery, since i saw in my pc one partition is already for that (5-10 GB i forgot the exact size)
Happy owner of a AK1 8GB+256GB purchased on March 2021, pre-installed with Windows 10 Pro 2004. My first AK1 was very defective, and my demand to aftersales got solved on May 17th, with replacement of the bad unit, now all is fine.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello, do you want to reduce the C drive space to get more storage?
First, you need to enter the disk management interface. Select the partition of the corresponding disk you want to compress, right-click, and select Compress Volume. You can manually enter the space you want to compress, preferably an integer multiple of 1024, and then click Compress. At this time, you can see that there is a part of free space in the disk list. Then right-click the partition that you want to expand the storage space, and select Expand Volume.
We can manually enter the expansion's size, the default is the maximum space for expansion, and then click Next to finish. At this time, the disk size has been successfully changed.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
axe2021

Post by axe2021 »

@admin

Thank you ! That's exactly what i needed, to manage it. And it worked as you said, now i have a C: for OS and a D: for data and a "Recovery" partition with no letter assignated, all are inside the same internal storage, the hard drive disk inside my AK1.

Edit : no data loss while proceeding with Disk management tool !

Return to “Troubleshooting”