Installing Ubunutu-Mate-20.04.01 LTS on USB for T6

Quick Fix.
Rudi452

Installing Ubunutu-Mate-20.04.01 LTS on USB for T6

Post by Rudi452 »

Did anybody try that and has some wisdom to share?

I am on my way to find a slim solution to install Ubuntu-Mate 20.04.01 LTS on a bootable USB stick. Aim is to put some specific development environment onto it to keep my original system clean. I did get a 32GB install USB stick ready and am currently running the install routine to a 128GB Flash drive. I noticed the tryout version of Ubuntu was not recognizing the WiFi driver, so I guess this will be an issue to be solved - anything else?
Rudi452

Re: Installing Ubunutu-Mate-20.04.01 LTS on USB for T6

Post by Rudi452 »

Ok, just for the record in case somebody finds this thread by searching the netverse. I stopped the effort to try to install Unbuntu on ACEPC T6 for the time being. It turns out the installers mess with the UEFI boot manager in a hard to predict way. Advice: whenever you are going to try, first learn how to reset the Bootmanager of the T6 to defaults.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello, we cannot provide you with a WIFI driver. This is very sorry. You can obtain this driver from other channels, and I hope you can solve it as soon as possible.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Rudi452

Post by Rudi452 »

WiFi driver ain't show stopper, that is just copying 4345r6nvram.txt to /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt to get it recognized. The usual distros seem to not add support for the Broadcom chip by strange reasons, maybe too little sold and used that way? @Sales: something to do about ;-).

The original Q was more what to expect next? Biggest trouble so far is the boot loader of T6, which I have not figured out yet to bypass for an autarkic LinuxOnUSBStick without deeper computer skills = unusable for the elder clients thought of.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you Rudi for your feedback. We will increase our support for Linux systems in the future. We will notify you when we receive a message.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

I have a W8 (T8) that I was thinking of trying either Ubuntu or Linux Mint on. Though the specs meet minimum for Windows 10, I figure this unit will be more responsive with a less resource hungry OS. Perhaps Linux Mint 20.1 MATE. I've used Mint a bit in the past and it's a great OS.

It'll likely take some trial and error to get everything running properly with MATE, if I can, but I don't use the unit for anything other than fun, so why not give it a try? 😁

I have the 4GB/64GB version, so it will be plenty for Mint.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10 • AK2 Pro
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Rudi452

Post by Rudi452 »

I had Ubuntu-Mate 20-04-1 LTS on the T6 (4/64) and it does run reasonably well. I was just too tired to get all drivers to work properly, knowing it would take some effort not only at initial, but also permanent to keep it working. Biggest bad was the strange things going on with the boot loader. I got it back to booting Win10, but it still has some residuals I was unable to clean up. So, if anybody has an idea how to reset the boot loader ...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We recommend this tutorial for you:
PE system download address:
Rudi452

Post by Rudi452 »

@admin: Maybe you can elaborate a little more, because this is what I see of your posting:

virtually nothing at all.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Rudi452,

The admin posted two items that are hosted on Google Drive, and they automatically expanded for download on the screen.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (192.77 KiB) Viewed 4184 times

I'll post the addresses below, but I'll put an X in front of each of them to prevent them from doing the same. This way you can copy/paste them into the address bar, but without the X, of course.

The recommended tutorial...

Xhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1UvGqkuJcOn6mMsE6EjZt62PXVQxRvV9g/view

The PE system discussed in the tutorial...

Xhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1ET4w_yu_kfyCjqroumj7RiZNhXcx9C8o/view
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10 • AK2 Pro
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member

Return to “Troubleshooting”