AX16 Pro set VRAM Size

Highly Cost-Effective Laptops
Awatarius

AX16 Pro set VRAM Size

Post by Awatarius »

Sorry I don’t know exactly where the right place to post this is.

I just got this laptop myself yesterday for a friend and tester. I was looking for a midrange for some of our engineers for light work on the go at my company. I am an AMD guy, and the VEGA IGPU is pretty decent. The only problem I have and before I can start ordering several of these I need to get resolved… I need to be able to manually set the VRAM size. I am far from a novice and after looking it over I was fairly impressed on their choice of bulk chips. I installed 64GB of RAM and the best NVME this will support at 1TB. Matter of fact I’d say for real productivity and gaming those two things are a must (better ram and HD). Plus prices are so low now it’s well worth doing.

But the hamstring here is the dynamic memory allocation for VRAM. Some program's and games look for X amount. Some games have load variance that doesn’t work with dynamic allocation well. I reached out to support and I’m waiting for them to get back with me. I’d like them to send me a bios for the AX16 pro that has that unlocked so I can just set it at 8GB which the chipset supports with 32 or higher GB of RAM. There of course can be key combinations to unlock the advanced bios menu but common ones aren’t triggering it. I don’t want to manually build out the bios on a new system, but luckily they use a basic AMI so it is possible. Anyone know of any solutions for my quandary?

Also this community seems pretty nice. I think maybe I’ll stick around and help folks. My specialty is in IT Infosec but I have been building systems, and fixing the simple to very complicated since my first IT job at 16 (43 now). So why not help out from time to time.
dragonpoo

Re: AX16 Pro set VRAM Size

Post by dragonpoo »

Hey Awatarius/Avatar (the forums keep auto-translating your name to Avatar)

Welcome to the forums! It's a great place to help and get help.

I've seen other people ask about changing the video memory on a few different systems here, but those requests usually end up as "unsupported." Yes, it might be possible to do it in the bios, but it's rarely tested and usually unsupported, causing stability issues. It looks like you asked about it here as well: https://minipcunion.com/viewtopic.php?t=5152 and got the same response from Gabe, one of the senior members of the forums.

You can try reaching out to Barry, from the company, for a definitive answer. I just suspect it won't be supported.
GK3V (J4125/8GB/128GB) | AMR5 (R5 5600U/16GB/512GB NVMe) | JK06 (N5100/8GB/256GB) | AK1Pro (N5105/8GB/256GB) | T8Pro (N5095/8GB/256GB) | AD03 (N95/8GB/256GB) | CK10 (i7-10810U/16GB/512GB) | S1 (N95/16GB/512GB)

Return to “Intel® Processor N95 Laptop (AX15 & AX16)”