Keep the USB Drive plugged in?

Quick Fix.
jlthorburn

Keep the USB Drive plugged in?

Post by jlthorburn »

OK All...

After cloning systems files from the 64 GB EMMC to a 120GB SSD on my T11 mini and changing BIOS boot order to SSD #1 and EMMC # 2. Windows boots and has Drive (C:) listed as "windows 120GB" and now list drive (D:) "windows 64 GB"

Once the desktop opens I get the following Pop Up Message:

"Keep the USB drive plugged in. Only remove it after your PC has shut down completely. Otherwise, your Windows To Go workspace might crash and you could lose data."

I have no external USB drive plugged in?

So what does this mean? Am I truly running windows from the SSD? Or does windows think the SSD is a USB drive and is running windows as a "To Go Workspace"? If it is the later I am not sure there is any advantage to run windows from the SSD.

Please advise the best way to run windows system on this mysterious T11. My only reason to clone the operating system to the SSD was to get faster performance. If running OS on EMMC is the better choice then so be it.

I am starting to get the sense this Mini T11 is like my old Packard Bell 75 Pentium very proprietary.

Thanks in advance,

John

Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Keep the USB Drive plugged in?

Post by Gabe »

John,

I believe the problem is that the T11 sees the add on SSD as a USB drive. I believe this is also the reason that the admin stated that the T11 can't run from an add on HDD/SSD, though I think it's more that it can't run properly from an add on HDD/SSD, like the AK/GK models can. Even further, it sounds like the unit may be "confused" and think that the add on SSD is a Windows to Go USB, which is actually only fully available in the Enterprise versions of Windows 10. Very strange.

So, from the sound of it, while the add on drive is okay for storage, it's not going to work as you hoped for a system drive, or at least not in the proper manner.

My advice would be to stick with the onboard storage of the T11 for the system drive, but I'm only an ACEPC owner, like you, so my advice is just personal, not official.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10 • AK2 Pro
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Due to CPU limitations, T11 cannot connect an external hard disk as a system disk. Please understand.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
jlthorburn

Post by jlthorburn »

OK,

Removed SSD. Now booting from EMMC. Upon restart I see script run and then upon completion of script I must enter "exit" to launch windows. Can we clean this up and go direct to windows?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please check whether the first startup item in the BIOS is correct. This kind of problem may occur during an abnormal shutdown.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.
jlthorburn

Post by jlthorburn »

Checked Boot order in BIOS and EMMC is 1st. still getting the script run upon restart and have to enter exit to load windows?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please attach your abnormal picture or video to let us know more about your problem.
jlthorburn

Post by jlthorburn »

Please see attached file....

Again script runs upon restart and I have to enter <exit> to enter windows?

John
Attachments
IMG_0362.jpg
IMG_0362.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 5595 times
jlthorburn

Post by jlthorburn »

Yep Boot order caused this.

Changed order to #1 Boot Manager #2 Built in EFI.

Problem solved.

John

Return to “Troubleshooting”